PLANT EXTRACTION

AK via methods%40net.bio.net (by akhan357 from sbcglobal.net)
Tue Oct 2 17:54:50 EST 2007

J.Renuka,

1. what do you want to extract? is it a protein, DNA, organic compounds,
organelles. ????
2. What do you want to do with it once it is outside of the cabbage or
broccoli, and into the solution????

plant material like this can be ground in a blender with buffer of your
choice, depending on the two questions above. it can be ground to a fine
powder in liquid nitrogen with a mortar and pestle, and subsequently
processed with buffer.

If this is a new project in your lab and no one knows anything about it.
here is the sequence a beginning PhD student should follow,
1. do a literature search through pubmed (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov), or simply
Google it
2. read, and read some more, (remember library also)
3. don't be shy to go to another lab if they do this type of thing at your
institution. most people will be happy to share their expertise with you
4. if you decide to come to the net for help, respect other peoples' time
and be concise and to the point.

lastly, don't be discouraged with some of the remarks, but it would be a
mistake to think that you can bypass doing your homework by getting answers
on the net.

AK

news:1190967072.141355.167930 from w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...