Native Gel Question

Mon Oct 22 08:30:53 EST 2007

Am 11.10.2007, 17:05 Uhr, schrieb Arne Christensen <arnec from bio.umass.edu>:

> Is it possible to run a native gel under basic conditions, but jack up
> the pH of the running gel and buffer system, to say pH9.5 to try and
> make my predicted IP6.7 protein more negatively charged?

Shure, you can freely select the pH at which you run your gel, this is
possible even with discontinuous gels. You need an appropriate buffer
system, which you can select on http://www.buffers.nichd.nih.gov/.

The relevant literature is:

@article{Jov-73a,
         AUTHOR= {T.M. Jovin},
         TITLE= {Multiphasic Zone Electrophoresis. {I}. {S}teady-State
Moving-Boundary Systems Formed by Different Electrolyte Combinations},
         JOURNAL= {Biochemistry},
         VOLUME= {12},
         YEAR= {1973},
         PAGES= {871-879},
         LANGUAGE= {engl}
}

@article{Jov-73b,
         AUTHOR= {T.M. Jovin},
         TITLE= {Multiphasic Zone Electrophoresis. {II}. Design of
Integrated Discontinuous Buffer Systems for Analytical and Preparative
Fractionation},
         JOURNAL= {Biochemistry},
         VOLUME= {12},
         YEAR= {1973},
         PAGES= {879-890},
         LANGUAGE= {engl}
}

@article{Jov-73c,
         AUTHOR= {T.M. Jovin},
         TITLE= {Multiphasic Zone Electrophoresis. {III}. {F}urther
Analysis and New Forms of Discontinuous Buffer Systems},
         JOURNAL= {Biochemistry},
         VOLUME= {12},
         YEAR= {1973},
         PAGES= {890-898},
         LANGUAGE= {engl}
}

@article{Jov-73d,
         AUTHOR= {T.M. Jovin},
         TITLE= {Multiphasic zone electrophoresis. {IV} {D}esign and
analysis of discontinuous buffer systems with a digital computer},
         JOURNAL= {Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci.},
         VOLUME= {209},
         YEAR= {1973},
         PAGES= {477-496},