why EDTA is used for lysozyme action

chiranjit chowdhury via methods%40net.bio.net (by cjtcdy from gmail.com)
Tue Oct 30 13:11:55 EST 2007

Dear friends, I got protocol from pharmacia for Gram negative bacterial cell
lysis with lysozyme and EDTA. I have gone through several literature where
they have used EDTA with lysozyme mediated cell lysis of Gram negative
bacteria but not in case of Gram positive bacteria.
Can anybody tell me why EDTA is used specially for Gram negative bacteria,
the exact mechanism behind it
Regards.

--
Chiranjit Chowdhury