23s/16s rRNA ratio

yotsawat pomyen via methods%40net.bio.net (by yotsa from yahoo.com)
Sun Sep 2 16:09:10 EST 2007

Hi all,

I have to extract total RNA from E.coli for microarray
experiment. I analyzed my RNA using 2100 Bioanalyzer
and it provides information about rRNA ratio. I did
some search and found that mostly 23s/16s rRNA ratio
for good RNA quality is about 2:1. My results from
Bioanalyzer are vary from 1.8 to 2.6.
My questions are:
1. What rRNA ratio tell me about my RNA?
2. Why they said that the 23s/16s ratio of 2:1 is
good? Why 2:1?
3. Is my RNA in good shape judging from rRNA ratio
that I got?

Thank you

Yotsawat Pomyen