plasma membrane extraction

Thu Sep 20 09:20:57 EST 2007

Am 10.09.2007, 19:56 Uhr, schrieb phung gip <pgip from berkeley.edu>:

> do you know of a good plasma membrane extraction protocol?
> i'm using ultracentrifugation--but it's too crude and i may be getting
> contaminants from the ER and Golgi.

I am not completely sure what you want. Separation of different membrane
systems by isopycnic centrifugation uses an ultracentrifuge. See S.
Fleischer & M. Kervina: Subcellular fractionation of rat liver, Methods
Enzymol. 31A (1974) 6-41.

Extraction of membranes to isolate proteins is performed with high salt
(membrane associated proteins, Fujiki et al., J. Cell Biol. 93 (1982)
97-102) or with detergent (transmembrane proteins, Review J.L. Rigaud:
Braz. J. Med. Biol. Res. 35 (2002) 753-766, see also the entire volume
1508 of BBA)