RNA denaturing gels

IanMc via methods%40net.bio.net (by zebedeeboy from hotmail.com)
Mon Sep 24 04:54:08 EST 2007

Hi Pow,

We have used the RNA ladder from Ambion with no problem. But all our RNA
work is done on an Agilent Bioanalyser. I don't have much experience with
gels but I'm under the impression that EtBr binds less well to single strand
vs double strand. So the protocol's use of a tonne of EtBr may have some
basis. I would suggest two things, using a control plasmid (from the kit if
Ambion supply one) and try to silver stain your gels rather than use EtBr. I
don't know if there is a more RNA friendly fluorescent dye to use in place
of EtBr, anyone?

Ian Mc

news:mailman.1022.1190403087.11350.methods from net.bio.net...