western blot question

Thu Sep 27 13:49:29 EST 2007

A western blot or an SDS PAGE gel (stained)????  Generally if you only
need to see the bands, you can just stain the gel.  If you are going to
do a blot, it is naturally assumed that youwish to do an immunoassay
with a antibody.
    In an SDS-PAGE, you would get the heavy and light chains around the
50-60kDa and around the 25-30 kDa positions on a gel.  I have observed
doubles at the both positions with the doublet at the 25-30 kDa better
separated than the higher molecular weight bands.  Variation in
separation of the doublets (sometimes, I have also observed triplets)
varies with different antibodies.  Does that answer your question?
Jay