Why use K+ and NH4+ in Taq buffer?

Zhong Silin via methods%40net.bio.net (by stxsz1 from nottingham.ac.uk)
Wed Apr 2 17:19:58 EST 2008

Can someone explain to me what is the role of K+ and NH4+ in the PCR buffer?
I noticed most of the suppliers are using the NH4 buffer. Only NEB sticks to the original KCl buffer.

For example
Bioline 1x Taq buffer: 16mM (NH4)2SO4, 67mM Tris
NEB 1x Taq standard buffer: 50mM KCl, 10 mM Tris

and why the Bioline use such a high concentration of Tris?

Thanks in advance
Silin