Cells spontaneously zeocin resistant?

Ian A. York via methods%40net.bio.net (by iayork from panix.com)
Thu Apr 10 12:26:03 EST 2008

We've routinely made stable cell lines using plasmids containing
zeocin resistance.  However, recently some of our starting cell lines
have apparently become spontaneously resistant to zeocin at fairly
high doses, at least 1000 ug/ml.

We've considered a couple of possible explanations.

(1) Have we mixed up cell lines so that we're accidentally growing a
resistant stable cell line?  If so none of the markers that go in
with the resistance are present, including GFP (the resistance gene
we use is from Invitrogens pTracerCMV2 plasmids, which contains a
GFP/ZeoR fusion protein).  We have also gone back to our earliest
freezes from liquid nitrogen without success.  And at least two
rather different cell lines are behaving this way, even though the
two lines look and behave differently otherwise.

(2) Has our zeocin gone bad?  It's relatively fresh and as far as I
can tell has been treated properly (i.e.e kept frozen).  It kills
some other cell lines as expected at reasonable concentrations, 100
ug/ml.  I am reluctant to spring for a new batch of zeocin if this is
still good, because it's rather expensive.

Are there other explanations?  Could mycoplasma contamination cause
zeocin resistance?

Thanks,

Ian
--