Guanidine and SDS-page gel

Bean Long via methods%40net.bio.net (by ben.long from yourfinger.anu.edu.au)
Mon Apr 21 18:04:29 EST 2008

Sophie wrote:
> I read on this forum that it is possible to run guanidine samples if
> they are diluted. Which final concentration of guanidine do you
> recommend to avoid SDS precipitation?
> Thanks,
> Sophie

I'd recommend urea instead if possible. 8M urea in samples is not a
problem for SDS-PAGE. Unfortunately I learned this a long time ago after
a dreadful experience with guanidine and now can't recall the lowest
reasonable concentration for loading. Best of luck.