Old school 2D gel electrophoresis

Arne K Christensen via methods%40net.bio.net (by arnec from bio.umass.edu)
Fri Apr 25 15:06:07 EST 2008

I am interested in doing some proteomic work using 2D gel
electrophoresis.  We have the hardware to run 2D gels, however our
equipment is many decades old and uses tube gels to resolve in the first
(IEF) dimension.  Most of the published in the last 10+ years describes
a first dimension separation by immobilized pH strips, which is
presumably better.

Does anyone in this group have experience using tube gels?  Does the
newer method truly warrant the costs associated with it (BioRad cost for
the power pack is ~$8,000)?

Does anyone have any advice to offer in using tube gels before I dive in?

Thanks,
Arne

--

__

Arne K Christensen

Postdoctoral Research Associate
University of Massachusetts, Amherst

USGS Conte Anadromous Fish Research Center
One Migratory Way, PO Box 796
Turners Falls, MA  01376

Email: arnec from bio.umass.edu
Phone: (413) 863-3827