Page gel

Haviland, David L via methods%40net.bio.net (by David.L.Haviland from uth.tmc.edu)
Sun Apr 27 10:56:49 EST 2008

The reasons you cite is exactly why I always ran my gels on constant amps rather than volts.   For a 10% SDS-PAGE I could start it at 5 pm and by 9 am the next morning it was about 3 cm from the bottom.   Even during the day I never ran them above 25 mA without some form of cooling else they'd "smile" and make interpretation a bit problematic.    In my hands, slower was always better.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu on behalf of yan sun
Sent: Sat 4/26/2008 6:38 PM
To: Methods from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: Page gel

Dear all,
I got a question about PAGE electrophoresis gel to confirm.
When we mention that proper volts condition for running a gel is around
20V/cm.
For eample, my gel is 20 cm, which means that proper Volts is ~400V? Am I
right?
If the volts is toooo high, the gel might toooo hot to get good resolution,
right?
Thx a lot!!!!

Frances
--