mutagenesis

Duncan Clark via methods%40net.bio.net (by blackhole from abuse.plus.com)
Thu Aug 14 03:27:15 EST 2008

Historians believe that in newspost <Remok.20246$KZ.14943 from newsfe03.iad>
on Tue, 12 Aug 2008, DK <dk from no.email.thankstospam.net> penned the
following literary masterpiece:
>Basically, Stratagene stole Finnzyme's idea, somehow
>managed to circumvent IP (patent) protection and ended
>up making a better product.

MJ Bioworks (prior to MJ's downfall over the thermal cycler infringement
with ABI) patented Sac 7/Sso7 (7kd non-specific ds DNA binding protein
from Sulfolobus) as a fusion with a DNA polymerase. They then specified
in another patent that one had to have various aa's at positions a ... z
in the Sso sequence in order to bind DNA.

Stratagene basically altered every other amino acid else bar those and
after lots of screening identified a modified Sso7 that worked as well
as the wt Sso7 in a fusion.

All fun and games :-)

Duncan

they go flying by.