Protein Extraction from Fat

Wed Aug 27 13:53:17 EST 2008

Am 21.08.2008, 14:30 Uhr, schrieb Joel Schneider
<joelschneider914 from gmail.com>:

> I am currently interested in analyzing the protein content of a fat
> sample I
> recently harvested. Is there a particular protein extraction method
> recommended for fat?

That depends on what type of protein (large/small,
hydrophilic/hydrophobic) you want to extract for which application (IEF,
MS, aa analysis, Edman sequencing...). It also depends on the nature of
the sample, small amounts of protein in a dietary fat would certainly be
treated differently than the membrane proteins from a cell homogenisation.

In principle, you have two possibilities:
- solubilising proteins and fat in detergents followed by separation of
protein containing micelles
- removing the fat with organic solvents followed by solubilisation of the
protein residue (e.g. the Wessel & Flügge procedure).