RACE sequencing problem

Scott Brown via methods%40net.bio.net (by SBrown from ccia.unsw.edu.au)
Fri Dec 19 12:38:40 EST 2008

Hi,

I have been sequencing constructs about 1kb in size that i have obtained from a second race reaction, i have pruified the product, spec'd it and ensured when run on a gel i get a band.
This has worked for a while, however the last 1 or so constructs i have had sequenced have failed, the chromatogram looks as though the primer has not even bound to the template, it is simply noise that drops off to an almost undetectable signal.
Can anyone make any suggestions as to what I should be looking at to troubleshoot this? I sent my positive control as well as 1 sample from my next set of rave reactions to be sequenced, both were successful, then when i sent the remaining 8, all 8 failed.
Might i need to redesign my primer i am using for sequencing? Any other thoughts?

Scott Brown
PhD Candidate

Children's Cancer Institute Australia for Medical Research is the only independent medical research institute in Australia devoted to research into the causes, prevention, better treatment and ultimately a cure of childhood cancer. Our vision is to save the lives of all children with cancer and to eliminate their suffering.

The information contained in this message and any annexure is confidential and intended only for the named recipient(s). If you have received this message in error please contact the sender immediately and destroy the original message.