Post Translational Modification of Proteins

Pow Joshi via methods%40net.bio.net (by pow.joshi from gmail.com)
Mon Feb 4 18:00:12 EST 2008

On 04/02/2008, Sudheendra Rao N R <sudhee26 from gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> can somebody tell me what changes would occur to the molecular weight of a
> protein being run in a denaturing PAGE after it undergoes Post
> translational
> modification?
> like sumoylation can increase mol weight by 11kD.

I don't know too much about it, however your question made me do a quick
search for  SUMO (small ubiquitin  related modifiers) and here's a link that
shows some antibodies that you could use for detecting the same (in this
case, it is a kit that uses p53) and it seems plausible that the mol weight
is modified by 11kDa.

http://www.activemotif.com/catalog/protein_mod/sumolink

best
Pow