Enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli

Vince Mulholland via methods%40net.bio.net (by Vince.Mulholland from sasa.gsi.gov.uk)
Wed Feb 13 04:44:00 EST 2008

>Dear Sir,
>
> I am Pooja, a student at IISc, India. I was reading about pathogenic
E.coli and
>just had a simple query. Sir, do you need any special facility to work
with
>pathogenic E.coli like 0155:H7 or can we work in the normal hood used
for
>culturing nonpathogenic E.coli. Are any specific precautions required
while
>working with pathogenic E.coli?
>
>Waiting eagerly for your reply.
>
> Regards,
> Pooja

Just a word of caution. As a student you should only undertake this kind
of work under the direct
supervision of someone experienced in handling pathogenic bacteria. That
supervision should give
you the theoretical and practical skills required to handle the bacteria
in a contained fashion. If this
is a new area of work for the laboratory (no matter if there are workers
who have used pathogenic
bacteria elsewhere) then the advice of a departmental or institutional
biological safety officer should
be obtained before commencing the work. The BSO should be able to give
guidance on national
rules, but will also be able to ensure you comply with the local rules
of your institute.

Remember when working with pathogens you have a duty of care to yourself
and your family, your
co-workers, other staff (such as cleaners, porters and engineers) and
the wider community outside
the institute.

Regards,

Vince Mulholland

Correspondents should note that all communications to or from the Scottish Agricultural Science Agency may be automatically logged, monitored and/or recorded for lawful purposes.

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet (GSi) virus scanning service. On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus-free.