Lipo2000 leads to cell apoptosis?

Kyle Legate via methods%40net.bio.net (by legatek from hotmail.com)
Wed Feb 20 23:52:45 EST 2008

WANG XF wrote:
> Usually transfection was completed with lipofectamine 2000 in our lab. I am
> detecting apoptosis induced with H2O2, and after transfection of the
> apoptosis sensor construct into cells, apoptosis could be found in the
> absense of H2O2.
> lipofectamine 2000 or other transfection reagents based on liposome will
> lead to cell apoptosis?

Sure it will. The transfection protocol calls for cells to be >90%
confluent at the time of transfection. If breakdown of the nuclear
envelope concomitant with cell division is required to allow the DNA to
enter the nucleus then you are counting on apoptosis to make your
experiment work.