pcr prob

Aawara Chowdhury via methods%40net.bio.net (by aawara from pontiff-playground.org)
Wed Feb 27 21:14:24 EST 2008

In <FNmxj.51$lR1.26 from newsfe05.lga>,
 DK <dk from no.email.thankstospam.net> wrote:

> My understanding is that Sybr Safe, just like EthBr, does NOT
> stain ssDNA!

That is my understanding as well.  Detecting ssDNA is typically done
using a dye like YO-PRO-1 or YOYO-1

> 1. "Safe" part does not concern me in the least. EthBr is already
> perfectly safe the way it is used.

Absolutely no doubt that ethidium is mutagenic in a classic Ames test.
But there is no peer-reviewed published study that demonstrated
mutagenicity, carcinogenicity or teratogenicity using metazoan cells
or whole animals.  The only published study examining its mutagenicity
in animal cells that I am aware of is by Norman Drinkwater (who I
believe is at UW-Madison), and he did not find it to be mutagenic.

> 4. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Sybr Safe slightly less
> sensitive than EthBr? At least that's couple people who actually use
> it told me.

Yes.

AC
--
Email: echo 36434455860060025978157675027927670979097959886449930P | dc