Calculating Protein Concentration

Thu Jan 17 11:28:34 EST 2008

You need the amino acid sequence to calculate its molecular weight. Get
the protein amino acid sequence from NCBI, paste it into a tool like
protparam.
http://au.expasy.org/tools/protparam.html
	It will calculate the molecular weight of the protein for you.
Calculate the molarity from that.
Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu
[mailto:methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of Yvonne Couch
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 7:47 AM
To: methods from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: Calculating Protein Concentration

I have two proteins of different molecular weights, how do I calculate
the molarity of any solution I dissolve them in?  For example Protein 1
is 15kDa and 1mg is dissolved in 1ml of water, how do I calculate how
many moles this is?