Calculating Protein Concentration

Fri Jan 18 17:30:02 EST 2008

Well.. The issue of poor mathematical knowledge arises from the basic
levels of education.  At school levels and even at college levels, the
use of calculators have become rampant and necessary.  Students should
be asked to work mathematical problems with their head, as we all  used
to do and as several older scientists still continue doing so.  using
calculators are making that part of the brain redundant and creating
these problems in students.  Ban calculators at least up to high school
levels and the next generation of students would be more mathematics
savy.
Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu
[mailto:methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of WS
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 2:45 PM
To: methods from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: Re: Calculating Protein Concentration

Dear AK,

seems that even at famous Oxford either the students or the teaching
have become worse...

Actually, this stuff is a sort of "first day, first lesson's knowledge"
in almost any subject related to natural science. More to worry, a PhD
(!) student in my lab asked me exactly the same question a few days ago,
too. The funny thing is, when I told him to treat the problem the same
way as to make a sodium chloride solution, he could solve the problem
instantly.

What makes me especially worry is that this kind of questions in this NG
constantly seems to increase. I do not think it just lazyness, as for a
newbie to find this NG on the web, usually, you need to have done some
googling before on behalf of your actual problem. My impression is that
many of those girls&guys really don't know how to solve their problems
and somehow manage to discover the bionet.

Hey students, please comment on this, your opinion and experience is
wanted here!!! Did nobody teach you these things, do you not know where
to find this kind of textbooks and lessens or are you really just lazy?

Hey experts, is there any book/website/pdf/etc like {Mathematics,
Chemistry, Logical Thinking, Statistics, Planning Experiments and
Evaluating Experimental Data} in {Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Life
Science} for Dummies?

Any ideas?

Wo