Calculating Protein Concentration

Yvonne Couch via methods%40net.bio.net (by yvonne.couch from dpag.ox.ac.uk)
Mon Jan 21 03:40:41 EST 2008

Hi guys,
First off thanks to all who gave me help, much appreciated since nobody in
the lab could help.  Second of all if someone had told me to treat it like
sodium chloride I too would have been able to do the maths.  Finally I only
graduated last year and it's not something I have ever had to do before and
the spirit of unfriendliness which has greeted my question doesn't really
prompt me to ask more, how do you expect people to learn the basics if they
don't ask?  And how are they meant to ask if all they're going to get is
patronized?
Y.

-----Original Message-----
From: methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu
[mailto:methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of Terran
Sent: 18 January 2008 22:08
To: methods from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: Re: Calculating Protein Concentration

I too thought this question seemed so silly, and to investigate the
simplicity of the answer:

I searched "Dalton definition" at www.google.com <http://www.google.com/>

Looking for an .edu site I found:

Dalton = measure of molecular weight or mass. One hydrogen atom has mass of
1 Da. Proteins and other macromolecule molecular weights are usually
measured in kDa or kD (kilodaltons) - 1000 Da. From
(http://www.biochem.northwestern.edu <http://www.biochem.northwestern.edu/>
)

I didn't know the exact answer in the beginning, but from the definition it
is a simple conversion problem.

Freshmen with general chemistry could solve this.  Simple laziness.

~Terran

Graduate student

Chemical and Biological Engineering Dept

South Dakota School of Mines and Technology

Rapid City, SD 57701