Calculating Protein Concentration

Tom Anderson via methods%40net.bio.net (by ucgatan from ucl.ac.uk)
Thu Jan 24 09:41:07 EST 2008

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Pow Joshi wrote:

> On 22/01/2008, Tom Anderson <ucgatan from ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Jayakumar, R wrote:
> >
> > > Finally you could not have solved the question by treating it like
> > > Sodium chloride unless otherwise you had known the relation between
> > > dalton, carbon's molar mass and mole.
> >
> > Where does carbon's molar mass come into it?
>
> ...because, one Dalton is defined as 1/12th the mass of carbon-12.... This,
> too, is basic chemistry...

True, of course. But you don't need to know that to solve the problem -
you just need to know that a dalton is a gram per mole. That the mole in
question is strictly carbon-12 baryons (plus a corresponding share of an
electron cloud) is, for this purpose, unimportant. I'm assuming that
"treating it like sodium chloride" implies knowing the mole - dalton -
gram relationship, even if not the precise origin of the definition.

tom

--
Tom Anderson, MRC Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology, UCL, London WC1E 6BT
(t) +44 (20) 76797264   (f) +44 (20) 76797805   (e) thomas.anderson from ucl.ac.uk