DNA extraction from water

Pow Joshi via methods%40net.bio.net (by pow.joshi from gmail.com)
Thu Jan 31 11:41:00 EST 2008

On 30/01/2008, aswini sekar <aswinisekar16 from gmail.com> wrote:

> hai,
>     Metagenomics is the study of Unculturable microbes in the environment.
>    In this we use to Extract DNA directly from any environmental samples
> like water,soil,sediments,feces,urine,gut of insects,etc.
>    what does DNA extraction from water mean is to directly extract DNA
> from
> the mirobes present in the water without culturing.
>   it is possible to extract DNA of all extremophiles in water.
>   I think now u could understand better.
>   now if u could find any protocols if possible send me

thanks.... that's enlightening .....no, I don't have any protocols for it...
however, you may check out past papers in this area for it (if you have'nt
done so already), Or,  develop your own methods... for starters: spin down
the water,soil,sediments,feces

> ,urine,gut of insects,etc  2. use a buffer with a chaotropic agent to
> "solubilise'" the stuff, 3. extract with phenol chloroform isoamyl alcohol
> the same way as everyone else does, 4. precipitate as everyone else does.
> Voila', if you have your DNA (in fact I'd imagine all kinds of DNA, then
> decide how you'd like to go sifting thrrough all that "fecal" DNA to
> something that's importatnt for you.

Hope that helps,
Pow

Aswini