RNA on denaturing gels

Peter Ellis via methods%40net.bio.net (by pjie2 from cam.ac.uk)
Wed Jul 9 05:54:04 EST 2008

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, utsuxs from hotmail.com wrote:

> These are just random thoughts.
> I forgot where tRNA ends up but that could be the 3500nt band.

Transfer RNAs are ~75 bp, so.... no.

> And contamination.  Your ingredients and equipment, including your gel
> box might contaminated with RNase which is hell to get rid of.
> Wouldn't matter if your RNA is RNA and intact, you drop it in an RNase
> contaminated environment, well so long RNA.

Yes, but the OP says his ssRNA ladder ran fine, which argues against
degradation in the gel.

To the OP - are you sure what size ribosomal bands you're expecting from
Paramecium?  I strongly doubt it'll be the exact same pattern/size you'd
expect from mammalian cells.

Peter