Protocol for identification of unknown bacteria

Justin Baiardo via methods%40net.bio.net (by justin from baiardo.net)
Fri Jul 18 09:57:27 EST 2008

Mr. Coutts-
My name is Justin Baiardo and I teach microbiology at a high school out here
in New Mexico.
I read your post on bio.net regarding a protocol for bacterial
identification through 16S PCR and then electrophoresis to compare banding
patterns of 'unknowns' that i will supply the kids to knowns that we have in
the lab.
1. I would like a protocol for how to do this.  I have heard that the haeIII
restriction enz is a good one to use.
2. I dont know how to get 16s primers.  I've done searches on the internet
and I cant seem to find them.  I have heard that the BSF-343 and BMB-C are
good ones to use.
3. I dont need to sequences, just PCR, restriction digest, then run the
gels.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks-

Justin Baiardo