Proliferation assay in suspension cells

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum via (by engelbert_buxbaum from
Tue Jun 3 10:09:33 EST 2008

Am 30.05.2008, 07:21 Uhr, schrieb Kamalian, Laleh
<L.Kamalian from>:

> Hi and thanks to everyone who have been helping me so far. I am in
> trouble again. I need a protocol for proliferation assay in cells that
> grow in suspension.  The method that is used in our lab is MTT assay
> which is as I underestand for adherent cells.

You can also use it for suspension cells, the only problem is that you
have to replace the medium by the MTT solution and the MTT solution by the
propanol/HCl reagent. That is a lot easier with anchored cells where you
simply flick of the solution to be discarded. With suspended cells you'll
have to spin, which is more work. But any other assay you might use
suffers from the same problem.