RNA Later-Crystal!!

Sudheendra Rao N R via methods%40net.bio.net (by sudhee26 from gmail.com)
Mon Jun 2 22:56:18 EST 2008

Well,
I asked ambion guys.
they said that RNAlater being super-saturated salt solution, crystallization
is possible if there is any evoparation.
That settles the stuff :)
somewhere i read that RNAlater contains ammonium sulphate
well..it must be something else..i checked out ammonium sulphate
crystals..they are not long..yup but colorless..
On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 3:59 AM, Pow Joshi <pow.joshi from gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/5/30 Sudheendra Rao N R <sudhee26 from gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I had kept RNA later at room temperature in an open petri dish by mistake
>> and i saw almost colorless longitudinal (not smooth but did not have any
>> defined number of surfaces also) crystals.. of varying length..not soft
>> but
>> easily breakable
>> what are they? I tried heating the crystal to 50 degrees for 10 min but it
>> did not melt..but when i heated to 100 degrees it melted and
>> evaporatorated.
>> i guess it must be a molecular crystal!
>> can u guys shed more light on it?
>

> woooooooooooow .... that's some magic :)) I wonder if it's just salt or sds
> or whatever else that may be in the RNA sln..... or perhaps you're wondering
> if the RNA crystalised?
>
> Pow
>

>> Sudheendra.
>>
>> --