RNA extraction

AK via methods%40net.bio.net (by akhan357 from sbcglobal.net)
Fri Jun 13 18:03:28 EST 2008

Let me take a guess, increased proteolysis or decreased protein synthesis or
both? Let us all know the correct answer to this interesting question, if
you find it. In your previous lab were you using the same bugs? apparently
people chill or azide treat the bacteria before RNA prep. Also, it seems
that azide only works against gram negative bacteria!
AK

"Maria Labandeira-Rey" <pumituki from hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.433.1213372918.3533.methods from net.bio.net...
I have been told that I have to add sodium azide to my bacterial cultures
right before the RNA extraction to prevent RNA degradation.  I would like to
know if anyone knows the basis for this degradation inhibition.  In my
previous lab we just pelleted and re-suspended in trizol.  Thanks in
advance.