E.coli strain recommendation, please

Brian P Higgins via methods%40net.bio.net (by higginsb78 from gmail.com)
Wed Jun 18 11:45:41 EST 2008

I'll second DH5alpha--works very well.  I'd also suggest looking at your NEB
catalog--they have several E. coli strains available for free (you pay
shipping if you're not ordering something else).  I know they offer several
of the JM10X's, which are very handy (especially the recA strain, which is
what you'd want).  There are too many alternatives to list, so you'll have
to be a bit more specific about the desired genotype for me to give more
recommendations.

I am not sure why you're having the problem with Top10.  I've used it many
times with great success and I have not found it to grow slowly at all.
Could it be the level of antibiotic you are using?