Lab generics Wiki? (Was: Re: Western Stripping Buffer?)

Tom Anderson via methods%40net.bio.net (by ucgatan from ucl.ac.uk)
Thu Jun 26 12:09:03 EST 2008

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, Tom Anderson wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, DK wrote:
>
> > In article <b161ec7b-b0e5-43ab-bfc7-8feb40b202ba from m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, WS <novalidaddress from nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

> > >You may have that cheaper: just use 10mM or 100mM NaOH. (mild or
> > >strong variant). It's  not really a secret - just read the included
> > >MSDS *^_^*
> >
> > For many years now, I've had the idea of starting a web site that would
> > list compositions of companies' proprietary reagents and suggest cheap
> > generic alternatives. Simple things like Quik Solution (DMSO), Mild
> > Antibody Elution Buffer (3.6 M MgCl2) and such. It does not even have to
> > be precise - educated guesses, supported by evidence and references
> > would also be very useful (such as Qiagen's secret buffer compositions,
> > a subject of many posts here over the years) .
> >
> > These days, Wiki format would seem to be the most logical and convenient
> > way to go. But I am too clueless on how to host a web page and too lazy
> > to learn.
> >
> > Anyone wants to start one???
>
> Ask and ye shall receive:
>
> http://methodsandreagents.pbwiki.com/FrontPage
>
> You have to register, but it's no huge deal. Now, get in there and reveal
> some secrets!

Okay, edit: you have to register, then apply to join the wiki, then i have
to approve you, which is clearly complete rubbish. I've sent a
pre-approved invite to DK, but this isn't going to scale. I'll look for a
non-totally-missing-the-point wiki supplier tomorrow ...

tom

--
Tom Anderson, MRC Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology, UCL, London WC1E 6BT
(t) +44 (20) 76797264   (f) +44 (20) 76797805   (e) thomas.anderson from ucl.ac.uk