Lab generics Wiki? (Was: Re: Western Stripping Buffer?)

Tom Anderson via methods%40net.bio.net (by ucgatan from ucl.ac.uk)
Thu Jun 26 11:57:59 EST 2008

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, DK wrote:

> In article <b161ec7b-b0e5-43ab-bfc7-8feb40b202ba from m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, WS <novalidaddress from nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
> >On Jun 25, 9:58 pm, "Heather Woodward" <heather.woodw... from gmail.com>
> >wrote:
> >> To strip westerns, I use Re-Blot Mild Antibody Stripping Solution (Chemicon
> >> #2502). It's extremely simple and effective, especially when re-probing for
> >> phospho-proteins.
> >
> >You may have that cheaper: just use 10mM or 100mM NaOH. (mild or
> >strong variant). It's  not really a secret - just read the included
> >MSDS *^_^*
>
> For many years now, I've had the idea of starting a web site that would
> list compositions of companies' proprietary reagents and suggest cheap
> generic alternatives. Simple things like Quik Solution (DMSO), Mild
> Antibody Elution Buffer (3.6 M MgCl2) and such. It does not even have to
> be precise - educated guesses, supported by evidence and references
> would also be very useful (such as Qiagen's secret buffer compositions,
> a subject of many posts here over the years) .
>
> These days, Wiki format would seem to be the most logical and convenient
> way to go. But I am too clueless on how to host a web page and too lazy
> to learn.
>
> Anyone wants to start one???

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://methodsandreagents.pbwiki.com/FrontPage

You have to register, but it's no huge deal. Now, get in there and reveal
some secrets!

tom

--
Tom Anderson, MRC Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology, UCL, London WC1E 6BT
(t) +44 (20) 76797264   (f) +44 (20) 76797805   (e) thomas.anderson from ucl.ac.uk