methylene blue in the DNA sample

Maximilian Haeussler via methods%40net.bio.net (by maximilianh from gmail.com)
Mon May 5 04:44:30 EST 2008

nick from biteisizebio wrote about these "safe" stains recently, also
calculating cost per 100ml:
http://bitesizebio.com/2008/03/03/ethidium-bromide-the-alternatives/

he writes that methylene blue is "Post strain only, in 0.025% (w/v)
methylene blue in water." and according to him only bands above 500ng
are visible.

methylene blue is also part of those "run your DNA at home" instructions:
http://www.scq.ubc.ca/the-macgyver-project-genomic-dna-extraction-and-gel-electrophoresis-experiments-using-everyday-materials/

cheers
Max

2008/5/4 Gita Bangera <gbangera from bcc.ctc.edu>:
> Hello,
>

> Has anyone tried adding methylene blue to their DNA sample before
> running it on the gel? Since methylene blue stains DNA, I am wondering
> if that would work.  I am not interested in cutting out the bands from
> this gel or using the DNA in any way. I just want my students to be able
> to visualize the DNA on the gel and I really don't want to have to deal
> with EtBr.
>

> Thank you for your time.
>

> Gita
>

> Gita Bangera Ph.D.