Questions about protein quantification - from the industry perspective

Trond Erik Vee Aune via methods%40net.bio.net (by trondaun from REMOVE.nt.ntnu.no)
Mon May 26 08:12:09 EST 2008

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum skrev:
> Am 26.05.2008, 03:54 Uhr, schrieb Trond Erik Vee Aune
> <trondaun from REMOVE.nt.ntnu.no>:
>

>> I need a tag that can be used N-terminally to quantify expression of
>> its fusion partner - ideally in vivo. I was thinking about GFP, or one
>> of its derivates, but I think this protein might be patented. I've
>> tried searching for relevant patents without success. Can anyone
>> confirm that I need a license for the use of GFP (or any of its
>> derivates) for industrial gene expression quantification?
>
> Check with the companies that sells you the vector. Usually the price
> for the vector already covers a licence to whatever IP rights are
> attached. If not, they will probably be happy to negotiate your needs
> with you - against an appropriate fee, of course.

What I need is a tag to be used in our own expression vectors for in
vivo quantification of gene expression. I was thinking about GFP but I
am afraid that commercial use of this protein is patented. So,
disregarding GFP, what other cheap alternatives are there? It might
easily be so that licensing GFP for our use is the least expensive
alternative, but I won't go for this solution before giving it a lot of
thought ;).

I've also heard that it is not straight-forwarding using GFP for
quantification of expression. Anyone has and thought or experiences on this?

Trond Erik