Hydroshear DNA

Jose de las Heras via methods%40net.bio.net (by josenet from tiscali.co.uk)
Mon May 26 13:44:16 EST 2008

"peter" <peter.ianakiev from gmail.com> wrote in message
news:5aa1d425-dcae-4ab1-8a6a-4b3d6a0a7e7b from k13g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
> Hello guys,
> I need some expertise in random DNA fragmentation. I was thinking of
> hydroshearing DNA by passing trough syringe. Does anyone know the
> diameter of the needle needed to shear the DNA? is there better
> methods? - any experience is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Peter

We used to "autoclave" (actually using a standard kitchen pressure cooker)
wheat genomic DNA to fragment it. This was many years ago in another life
and I have never tried that again. I can't remember the size range we
obtained... but if you don't have a sonicator available (which would be the
best option) it should be a simple thing to try and see if it suits you. I
suspect you may find most of it is above the 0.5-2kb range you wish... but I
just don't remember.

Jose