Please help: A proteolyzed product running bigger on an SDS gel?

cv2135 from columbia.edu via methods%40net.bio.net (by cv2135 from columbia.edu)
Thu May 29 00:19:29 EST 2008

Hello
I'm trying to get to the bottom of a claim in my lab that  a breakdown
product of our favorite protein actually runs at a HIGHER molecular
weight than the full-length product on a 10% SDS gel.
The breakdown product is supposedly 13 residues shorter at the C-terminus.

Our protein is:

-12.7 KD protein,

-very basic (with a PI of 9.42)

-binds RNA

  -supposedly unstructured in the absence of its specific RNA ligand
(not generally present within E.coli)

Our protein runs at around 13-14 KD, and the supposed breakdown
product at 15KD

For those of you interested, the full-length  protein sequence can be
found at :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/viewer.fcgi?db=protein&id=139123

(note first two residues, ML, represent a false start, and the NTD
methionine is cleaved in vivo, thus the length of the protein is
actually 108 AA)

Please , I'd appreciate it if anyone who can help me to understand an
explanation for  this claim

Thanks so much
CV