missing bands and ghost bands

Brian P Higgins via methods%40net.bio.net (by higginsb78 from gmail.com)
Tue Sep 30 09:12:10 EST 2008

One quick question: have any of your coworkers actually tried to run the PCR
that you seem to be having problems with?  If they can get it to work well,
then the problem is your technique.  No offense, but 8 months with shoddy
PCR results is 7 and a half months too long--someone should have helped you
with this LONG ago.  You say that your technique is the only culprit, but
what about template and primers?  You didn't define what constituted your
mastermix, so I'm assuming that contains the usual: buffer, Mg, Taq, and
dNTPs.  Is it possible you miscalculated your primer dilutions and/or
template concentration?  Just a thought.
I agree with Christian--more info would help.

good luck!

brian