Chemically defined media required

David-Paul Minde via methods%40net.bio.net (by davidminde from gmail.com)
Mon Apr 13 02:48:04 EST 2009

M9 (probably THE standard chemically defined medium in maniatis) does
not give higher growth than about OD 5 in simple erlenmeyer.
If really maximum volumetric yield is an aim, use a fermenter and
(fed-batch and) rich media or (if not available) just terrific broth
in batch.
best,
David
(PS never heard of induction @ 42, funny system ... we rather like it
cool for making [very functional:] protein)

2009/4/13, megha goyal <mgbiotec from gmail.com>:
> we are currently producing our protein using e.coli w3110 containing puc 18
> plasmid having the gene of interest. our protein is temperature inducible
> i.e we grow our culture at 30º C and induction is at 42 º C. our protein is
> expressed as Inclusion bodies.
>
> we are using complex medium having yeast extract and tryptone with addtion
> of trace metals and vitamins during fermentation. glucose is added in
> initital stage as well as fed intermittently as per the requirement mostly
> durign the induction. the culture grows to an O.D. of 10 [6hrs] and then we
> induce it [2hrs] this is as per our technology providers advice.
>
> we would like to switch over to chemically defined media from complex media
> so as to increase yield. can anyone suggest how can we go about it as the
> media constituent we found on the net gives trace metals content to be added
> but not of vitamins. kindly help.
>
> biotef

David Minde MSc (TUM)

Cellular Protein Chemistry Room 707
Department of Chemistry
 Faculty of Science
 Utrecht University
Krytgebouw
 Padualaan 8
 NL-3584 CH Utrecht
 The Netherlands

 office phone +31 30 253 4105
 mobile phone +31(0)631154267

private address:
Griftkade 4 bis
3572 TW Utrecht

Science is what happens while we are making other plans (~John Lennon)