A question related to the DNA hairpin reannealing when helicase binds on this hairpin

Zhi Qi via methods%40net.bio.net (by zhiqi2 from illinois.edu)
Thu Apr 16 15:20:26 EST 2009

Dear all,

I have a question related to the DNA hairpin reannealing when helicase
binds on this hairpin:

I have a DNA hairpin construct (89-bp on the stem), and then I load
helicase to monitor hairpin unwound. The helicase I studied can bind
around 20-nt ssDNA. So my question is that if only one helicase unwound
the hairpin completely, does the DNA reanneal behind the helicase as the
helicase only use 20-nt position and the hairpin is 89-bp? I read some
paper, and it seems like if the helicase binds on the hairpin, even only
one helicase, then no matter how long the hairpin is, the hairpin can
not reanneal until the helicase unbind the hairpin. Is that true?

If anyone knows some conclusion or reference, please let me know.

Thank you so much!

Best Regards,
Zhi Qi
Biophysics, UIUC