Sodium Orthovanadate Preparation

Lionel Brooks 3rd via methods%40net.bio.net (by Lionel.Brooks from dartmouth.edu)
Sat Apr 18 14:57:10 EST 2009

Hello All,

I'm trying to prepare a 100 mM stock solution of sodium orthovanadate. I
want to use vanadate in my lysis buffer. I think this is a pretty
standard practice.

I tried following instructions found on the Abcam website:

Sodium orthovanadate preparation:
This needs to be done under the fume hood
• Prepare a 100 mM solution in double distilled water
• Set pH to 9.0 with HCl
• Boil until colorless
• Cool to room temperature
• Set pH to 9.0 again
• Boil again until colorless
• Repeat this cycle until the solution remains at pH 9.0 after boiling
and cooling
• Bring up to the initial volume with water
• Store in aliquots at -20 ̊C

Much to my chagrin the solution is not colorless after more than 30 min
of boiling. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Appreciatively,
Lee