Seeking method for fatty acid content determination in plant seeds and seedlings

Paul smith via methods%40net.bio.net (by paulslpool from yahoo.co.uk)
Sun Aug 2 22:17:55 EST 2009

Hello,

Not being a chemist, I am seeking a detailed protocol for
extraction and GC analysis of "free" fatty acids and fatty acids in
triglycerides (TGAs) in Arabidopsis seeds and seedlings (time-course
experiments). This is to look quantitatively and qualitatively at the
amount and composition of TGAs in seeds of a mutant vs. wildtype and
their changes during germination and seedling establishment.

None
of the methods I have seen in the literature is detailed enough for
someone inexperienced to follow without assistance of an expert (none
available where I work). I am also concerned about the safety aspects
with all the dangerous organic chemicals involved. I would be very
grateful to any expert that may provide me with a detailed protocol
that can safely be followed.

I would also appreciate that
details are included for special glassware & equipment that is
required for the procedures. Please note that I do have access to a
Agilent 6890N GC machine with an automatic injector and a 30 m HP-5 30
m column, suitable for FAs.

Thank you!

Paul Smith

paulslpool from yahoo.co.uk