RNA extraction from blood using Chelex 100 resin?

Seong Hwan Park via methods%40net.bio.net (by kuforen from gmail.com)
Mon Aug 3 21:02:27 EST 2009

Hi, guys.
Does anybody have an experience with RNA extraction from blood using
Chelex 100 resin?
Because I have a DNA version of Chelex 100 resin protocol, I modified it.

1. Whole blood 250ul + cell(RBC) lysis buffer 375ul -> 4'C incubation
-> centrifuge -> discard supernatant
2. repeat 1 twice more
3. apply 100ul of 5% Chelex 100 resin to the pellet
4. boiling for 20min
5. centrifuge and collect supernatant
6. DNase I treatment for supernatant and heat inactivation of DNase I

Do you think this protocol work?
If you have any comment on it, please let me know.

Seong Hwan Park, M.D., Ph.D.
Instructor in Legal Medicine,
College of Medicine, Korea University
126-1 Anadong 5ga, Seongbukgu, Seoul 136-704
South Korea

E-mail: kuforen from gmail.com or pelvis from korea.ac.kr
Tel: 82-2-920-6158
Fax: 82-2-928-3901