lyophilizing leaf tissue

Tue Dec 1 07:50:30 EST 2009

Am 27.11.2009, 03:15 Uhr, schrieb Yoram Gerchman
<gerchman from research.haifa.ac.il>:

> While I totaly agree that extracting and sending the extract might be
> easier,
> "Total" lipid extraction could be trickier then one would think. You
> might
> watnt to take a look at this link
> <http://www.lipidlibrary.co.uk/topics/extract/index.htm> and at the
> original
> Folck papaer <http://www.jbc.org/content/226/1/497.full.pdf+html>.
> Yoram

Which only proves again that you should never cite a paper, or use its
method, without having it read, marked and inwardly digested ;-). Only
that way can you fully understand what you are doing.

Note however that the editorial confirms my initial hunch: the risk of
lipid peroxidation or hydrolysis is probably higher if frozen or
lyophilized tissue is shipped, compared to  properly prepared and sealed
extracts. In addition of course, the methodological problems with
extraction are identical, regardless of whether that is done in the
sending or receiving lab.

The use of supercritical solvent (presumably CO2) mentioned in the
editorial is an interesting alternative, but beyond the reach of ordinary
laboratories. Thus the Radin method suggested by me initially, or the use
of ethanol/ethylacetate as mentioned in the editorial, are probably the
best options for the OP.