RNase Zap (Invitrogen) and RNase Away (Molecular Bioproducts)

Michael Sullivan via methods%40net.bio.net (by mlsulliv from wisc.edu)
Tue Feb 17 13:17:59 EST 2009

On Feb 16, 2009, at 6:16 PM, DK wrote:

> In article <mailman.225.1234807625.13724.methods from net.bio.net>, Igor
> Sagdeev <sagdeev from gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can anyone comment of the  difference(s) between these products:
>>
>> RNase Zap (Invitrogen)
>>
>> and
>>
>> RNase Away (Molecular Bioproducts)?
>
> Well,
>
> MSDS for both products makes it reasonably obvious that RNAse Away
> is simply a sodium hydroxide at unspecified concentration and RNase
> Zap is simply an SDS at unknown concentration.
>
> Take your pick. I'd contend that with already clean glassware that was
> not handled by bare hands neither is necessary. The "RNAses are so
> everywhere that the only way to get rid of them is to treat everything
> with some magic expensive solutions" is basically a myth.
>
> DK

The more one works with RNA, the one more realizes that DK's point is
true!

My favorite example of the extreme paranoia of RNases was a lab I
knew of that baked the mortars and pestles they used to grind tissue
for RNA preps! So there might be a little RNase on those: far more
will be liberated when the tissue gets ground! They did go through a
lot of mortars since these tended to break when cooling too fast out
of the oven.

As for magic solutions, I personally use dilute bleach when I feel
some treatment is called for. Ambion's web site even says this is an
alternative to their solution.

Another hint is that usually there is no special need to treat water
with DEPC. My experience is that 18 megaohm water from a milliQ
system is essentially RNase free.

Mike
---
Michael L. Sullivan