RNase Zap (Invitrogen) and RNase Away (Molecular Bioproducts)

Aawara Chowdhury via methods%40net.bio.net (by aawara from pontiff-playground.org)
Tue Feb 17 21:24:03 EST 2009

In <Wlnml.10820$RJ7.1304 from newsfe18.iad>,
 DK <dk from no.email.thankstospam.net> wrote:

> Take your pick. I'd contend that with already clean glassware that was
> not handled by bare hands neither is necessary. The "RNAses are so
> everywhere that the only way to get rid of them is to treat everything
> with some magic expensive solutions" is basically a myth.

Let me elaborate on this statement, because I take issue with it in part.

My Ph.D. thesis was on the structure of retroviral RNAs.  The structural
analysis, obtained in part by digestion with structure/sequence specific
RNases of end-labeled viral RNAs, was exquisitely sensitive to nuclease
contamination.  I've recovered RNase A activity in bottles that were
autoclaved .....

Having said that, for 99% of uses, the background level of RNase makes
no difference at all.  Further, while I can appreciate that there may
be a loss of signal if one does a Northern for full-length mRNA, these
days, most quantitation is performed using techniques such as real-time
PCR of reverse-transcribed samples.  Such techniques are much less
sensitive to small amounts of degradation by RNases in the environment.

AC
--
Email: echo 36434455860060025978157675027927670979097959886449930P | dc