RNase Zap (Invitrogen) and RNase Away (Molecular Bioproducts)

Wed Feb 18 11:55:02 EST 2009

But RNAse contamination of the milliq water can happen when it is in
transit to your reaction tubes which may also be RNAse free, and also
the tubing which dispenses the water from the Milliq cartridge to your
"Rnase-free" storage container.  It is important the glass bottles or
carboys or other plasticware that is used to store this milliQ water is
clean too, wherein lies the problem that it is virtually impossible to
eliminate RNAses during the transitionary phase.  That is why it is
always PRUDENT (an important word in the vocabulary of good scientists)
to treat the water with DEPC in the bottle it is going to be stored,
hence eliminating all external sources of RNAse.  Anyone care to
comment??  And I don't see any reason why people should try to save a
few minutes of their time and a few dollars and risk their expensive
experiments.

Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu
[mailto:methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of DK
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 12:52 AM
To: methods from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: Re: RNase Zap (Invitrogen) and RNase Away (Molecular
Bioproducts)

In article <mailman.233.1234903817.13724.methods from net.bio.net>, Michael
Sullivan <mlsulliv from wisc.edu> wrote:

>Another hint is that usually there is no special need to treat water
>with DEPC. My experience is that 18 megaohm water from a milliQ system
>is essentially RNase free.

Of course. The water goes through several cartridges that all absorb
proteins and peptides (ion exchange resins, activated charcoal and even
the final 0.2 micron filter that is not designed to be low protein
binding) plus the whole system is "sanitized" with NaOH on a periodic
basis, killing any microbes that might be a source of RNAses.

DK