RNase Zap (Invitrogen) and RNase Away (Molecular Bioproducts)

Nick Theodorakis via methods%40net.bio.net (by nick.theodorakis from gmail.com)
Wed Feb 18 13:10:22 EST 2009

On Feb 18, 11:55 am, "Jayakumar, R" <R.Jayaku... from roswellpark.org>
wrote:
> But RNAse contamination of the milliq water can happen when it is in
> transit to your reaction tubes which may also be RNAse free, and also
> the tubing which dispenses the water from the Milliq cartridge to your
> "Rnase-free" storage container.  It is important the glass bottles or
> carboys or other plasticware that is used to store this milliQ water is
> clean too, wherein lies the problem that it is virtually impossible to
> eliminate RNAses during the transitionary phase.  That is why it is
> always PRUDENT (an important word in the vocabulary of good scientists)
> to treat the water with DEPC in the bottle it is going to be stored,
> hence eliminating all external sources of RNAse.  Anyone care to
> comment??  And I don't see any reason why people should try to save a
> few minutes of their time and a few dollars and risk their expensive
> experiments.

My comment is the same as the others who note that ultra-pure water is
free of RNase contamination and that RNAse-phobia is way overdone. I
haven't used any DEPC or similar reagents since grad school, and
haven't had a problem even when probing for full length mRNAs in
Northerns. I never understood why anyone would pay good money to get
their water ultrapure and then deliberately contiminate with something
else. If your water is not pure enough to use for RNA, then it's
probably not good for most other applications.

I don't store water for RNA use, in any case; I get it fresh from the
tap.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis