Purity

Peter Ellis via methods%40net.bio.net (by pjie2 from cam.ac.uk)
Tue Jan 6 15:17:21 EST 2009

stormgirlz wrote:
> Hi all, relatively simple and silly question, if I get a compound at 90%
> purity, how do I compensate for that in my experiments?

At the risk of stating the blindingly obvious, it depends what the other
10% is.  If you know it's something completely inert, then you can just
scale up the amount you put in accordingly.  i.e. in order to add 1 gram
of the stuff you want, you actually need to put in 1.111 grams of the
impure stuff.

If the other 10% has some sort of activity in your system, then you need
to know what it is and work around it.  If the impurities are
sufficiently nasty, then the whole thing may be unusable.  For example,
if I ordered an oligonucleotide and it arrived as 90% DNA, 10% bleach, I
wouldn't exactly run a PCR with it!

If you have no idea what the other 10% is, then neither do we, and so we
can't help you.

Peter