Ultrasound-mediated gene transfer

Jan R. Krähling via methods%40net.bio.net (by J-R.Kraehling from tu-braunschweig.de)
Mon Jan 26 10:01:35 EST 2009

Dear all,

I have read a most interesting article on ultrasound-mediated gene
transfer "Sonoporation" (Fischer et al. 2006 Journal of Biotechnology
122, 393-411.) It seems that you can use a standard laboratory sonicator
commonly used to disrupt cells to transfect cells with expression
plasmids. Seemingly this method works especially well with neuronal
cells or related cells such as PC-12. Does anyone have practical
experience or a  good protocol in addition to the one described by
Fischer? For me it seems too good to be true that you can replace the
expensive transfection reagents by this simple methods. Is it in your
opinion worth to try?

Thanks for your kind help
Jan