DMSO Alternative?

Fri Jul 17 14:15:06 EST 2009

Am 16.07.2009, 12:55 Uhr, schrieb Yvonne Couch
<yvonne.couch from pharm.ox.ac.uk>:

> I want to do some experiments in vivo with a peptide that is relatively
> hydrophobic, it will only go into solution after dissolving in a solvent,
> allowing evaporation to occur and then dissolving in DMSO.  Is there an
> alternative solution to DMSO or an alternative method I could use to get
> the peptide into a solution that would be safe to use?

Increasing or decreasing the pH may bring the peptide into aqueous
solution by increasing the number of charged amino acids. If that doesn't
work, you have to experiment. Methanol or acetonitrile would be obvious
candidates.

Why do you want to replace the DMSO in the first place? That reason may
well limit your options with other solvents as well.